The committee is there to put ideas into action, but we need your input to guide what we do! From 2010-2012, committee members conducted a community health assessment to better understand what citizens thought might help them increase their activity level. The assessment consisted of:
- Key informant interviews
- Focus groups with local citizens
- An ongoing community health survey. Results from this survey have been compiled as of late March, 2011 and are available here, but we want to hear from more of you. So a new survey was launched in late 2013 – give us your input here.
- Healthy/Local Food – improve access to healthy foods (farmers’ market, healthy options at restaurants, community gardens, cooking classes, healthy food in schools, fresh food in convenience stores).
- Built Environment – advocate for sidewalks, crosswalks, bike lanes/trails, greenways/trails and parks.
- Programs – creating programs or events that promote or increase physical activity (challenges, a mud run/obstacle course, teen programs, kids running club, MebFit, Mebane Walks)
- Evaluation – collect data to help us improve programs, understand the needs of the community and properly report our results to stakeholders.
- Communications – streamline our communications process and branding efforts to better inform the community and create a consistent message (newsletter, web/email sign up, etc.)